Monday, October 8, 2012

A Sunburst for the Lightning Bug!!

Can you believe that I had never seen a lightning bug until I was 45 years old? My children and I spent many, many hours chasing lightning bugs on a visit to my mother-in-law in Virginia.  It was magical!!

This new little lightning bug from The Alley Way Stamps (TAWS) is not particularly "magical" but he is pretty darn cute.  What IS magical is the tutorial video on the TAWS blog last Tuesday that made creating this sunburst very easy!

Lighten my Load

I followed Danielle's video with only one exception.  She cut her strips with the wide end being 4 cm (about 1 1/2").  Since I was doing a smaller card, I cut the big end at 1 1/4". 

And guess what???  Danielle's tutorials are going to be a regular feature on the TAWS blog!  If you pop over today, you'll see this lightning bug card - but be sure to check it out tomorrow....

  • Stamps: The Alley Way Stamps Kid 'n Caboodle
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Classic Kraft, Summer Sunrise CS and dsp
  • Ink: Memento black and Copics
  • Accessories: Yellow Stickles (on nose), Gloss Accents (on eyes), Martha Stewart Fine Crystal Glitter (on wings), Spellbinders dies, misc gems

14 comments:

  1. Your sunburst is perfect for your lightening bug. He's so cute and suits his glitter. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his glittery little nose and the sunburst technique looks fab. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute...love the paper star burst!! Lee-Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card...don't think my children have ever seen a lightning bug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one just gives me a grin Kim...adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, what a totally cute bee! Danielle's video is great and I love how you've made a monochromatic version, those patterns look perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lightening bugs are magical and this one is so cute! Love the sunbeams (moonbeams) too. I'm glad it's not as hard as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up with lightening bugs, so I can't believe you never saw them until the age of 45!!! Wow! Well, your card is just fabulous - love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous sunburst! the perfect background for that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable card, Kim, and such a stinkin' cute lightening bug!

    I grew up in Iowa and used to catch them with other kids. We always put them in jars where we could just stare at their little butts lighting on and off. It was magical indeed and I'm so happy for you that you got to experience it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure we have lightening bugs here in Aus!? I'm sure I have never seen one. We do have glo-worms, though! Great card! Put a smile on my face! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!