Sunday, September 16, 2012

His Love Reaches to the Skies

I've been toying with the idea for this card since last Tuesday.  Loved the idea...hated everything I did.

The inspiration was this week's CASology Cue Card.



The idea was simply a kite with a beautiful saying from Our Daily Bread Designs:

Your love O Lord
Reaches to the heavens
And Your faithfulness
to the skies.
Psalm 36:5

This morning it dawned on me that I was going too "expected" with my colors...using blues for the "sky".  It's not horrible but it doesn't do justice to the beautiful saying.  The kite looked plain - I tried gems and buttons and bows...but nothing worked.


I've recently had blog friends use black as the ocean, and another did a purple sun, and another used a red background to a winter tree (obviously you should go blue or lavender with snowflakes!!??)  Unexpected touches that really made the cards.  So I went hunting for a color combo that I liked and landed on the second Fab Friday challenge.


What an elegant color combo!  And I was thrilled to play along because I also played along with their VERY first challenge two weeks ago!  So here's what happens when I put a gray, tan and yellow kite in the sky.  It added the elegance and uniqueness that I was missing.

Love and Faithfulness
I did add a coating of glitter to the gray part of the kite and a few gems to give it the sparkle it deserves!
My apologies to the ladies at Fab Friday.  They are all Stampin' Up demonstrators and, other than the paper, I didn't use anything Stampin' Up.  They don't require Stampin' Up so I am entering this anyway.   But I do want to thank them.  I had sort of ignored my Stampin' Up stamp collection for awhile, but then I made a Stampin' Up card for their first challenge and since then, I have made seven more!!
  • Stamps: Our Daily Bread Faith, Papertrey Ink Up, Up and Away (kite string)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Basic Gray, Sahara Sand, So Saffron
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Basic Gray, Sahara Sand (kite string)
  • Accessories: My Favorite Things kite die, Close To My Heart Bitty Gems, Martha Stewart Fine Crystal Glitter

23 comments:

  1. the kite is so cute and with lovely colors...and I love the sentiment too...nice simple cas card..good luck with the challenge...

    I am joining too the CASology challenge and my card is Nr. 58 would you mind to see it on my blog? I would be so glad if you could leave me some love :) Many thanks before :) hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Kim. I really struggle sometimes to not be so literal with colours. Glad you persevered with this though because your entry is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with CaSology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your card, kim... the color combo is fab, as is the design! the odbd set you used is one of my favorites. in fact i just made a card using it! thanks so much for playing along with CASology each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card! Love the white space, the sparkle on the kite, the long narrow size and the sentiment. Thanks for sharing with us again at Fab Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great kite and layout, Kim! I actually like them both, but do especially like the one you entered because of the uniqueness! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colour combination - this one was definitely worth waiting for! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great kite and the sentiment goes perfectly ~ beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made a long card in a while Kim,you've inspired me with your beautiful card. Something so peaceful about lofty kites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card...the color combo looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your sentiment and those fabby kitesKim. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome card! I LOVE the kite! The paper piecing is perfect! The quote goes so nicely! Thanks so much for joining us at Fab Friday! We love seeing everyone's cards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this color combination and have to make time to play along. Your kite looks incredible with the psalm, and I really like the kite tails! Oddly enough, I started thinking of making a kite for this challenge too, and then decided to do a snowflake :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That verse is amazing and your card is beautiful! I love how you used the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ideal verse for the kite! I had a similar experience yesterday when I tried making a card that I had imagined, but it was a disaster. It finally turned out okay after I tweaked it! Some of my best cards are "remakes," lot of them (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Kim! I am so surprised that someone so gifted & talented with card making would think they needed to improve! Honestly, Kim ... I am always so inspired when I visit ... and often sigh quietly to myself ... wishing that I could be as creative, classy & stylish? I always love your colour choices! So give yourself a big pat on the back!!! Having said that ... I am impressed on the result of venturing out of your comfort zone! Way to go, girl! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect verse for this design, Kim! I'll have to check out this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous Kim and an inspired colour combo for your kite. It makes it all so classy. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely. ;-) The yellow combo is a great choice for the kite - adds lots of fun interest. Great choice! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute! This color combo works great for your card, and I love the rhinestones on your kite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute! This color combo works great for your card, and I love the rhinestones on your kite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic card! I love the kite & sentiment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!